28 May 2016

A Big Ol' Black Dress

The Little Black Dress (LBD) has been considered a wardrobe staple for every woman since the days of Coco Chanel - chances are, if you wear dresses, you've got a LBD hanging in a wardrobe right this moment.

I, however, don't really do little. Go big or go home, right?


In comes the Big Ol' Black Dress (BOBD is much more amusing than LBD).

I wear black dresses a lot. And since I'm running out of variety in my BOBD wardrobe, I thought I'd knock this Big Ol' lady out with just some plain cotton (possibly a pique) that I got from my friends over at Rolls And Rems on Holloway Road.
It's a really lovely quality cotton, but the issue I have with anything 100% cotton is that it just absolutely has to crease at every bloody opportunity it can. Infuriating but so lovely to work with.


The pattern used is my self-drafted No Cock Nor Tails pattern, but with an added full bust adjustment because the original didn't really accommodate my larger-than-I-think-it-is bust.
However my first ever FBA didn't go so well, and I ended up with some weird bagging right on the bust apex (AKA baggy nipples. No one wants baggy nipples) and some extra fabric in the arm scythe, the former isn't that noticeable, but you can definitely see where it doesn't fit right in the arm holes in this picture;


So this dress has inseam pockets in the box pleated dirndl skirt, a lined bodice, and a centre back zip I screwed up with the insertion so there's a gap in the top, as you can see in the photo below. I'd say I'll put in a hook and eye, but since becoming single, there's no way I can undo that sort of fiddly thing myself.
But you know what? It looks pretty good, it feels pretty good, and it's a great BOBD.


Now. I'm going to stop talking about the dress because although it's great and all can we just take a moment out to TALK ABOUT MY HANDBAG?


This is The George pub bag from Vendula London and it's quite frankly the greatest handbag ever.

One, it's a fucking pub. Two, you can take the handle off and use the long strap to wear it as a cross body bag (two handbags in one, yes please!) Three - THE LITTLE SIGN OPENS UP.
If you're in London, pop into our shop to see this beauteous thing in the flesh, because it is just so amazing.



Hair Flowers; Lady Luck's Boutique 
Necklace; Handmade
Bolero; Collectif
Brooch; Luxulite
Belt; Primark
Shoes; Miss L Fire





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips